Job Title: Welder – Setup
Reports to: Plant Manager
Work Location: Super Steel, LLC, Mequon, WI
Date: September 2022
Provides high-quality welding in a team-oriented environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Include the Following:
- Must work in a safe manner wearing all required personal protective equipment. Expected to identify and alert managers of unsafe conditions, and mentor new employees in this application.
- Understands the process of welding and can complete welds using MIG, Flux Core and TIG methods to complete welding jobs.
- Holds and maintains various weld certifications as required and approved by Super Steel.
- Welds together metal components of products and works on weldments for various projects.
- Develops welding safety and good shop practice skills and trains newer welders on that application.
- Mentors welders with less experience in correct techniques of welding.
- Sets up own machines and understands how to change welding tips. Understands and completes necessary machine maintenance.
- Supply and maintain at workstation required personal tools for position level determined by Super Steel.
- Reads blueprints and schematics to ensure that welds and parts are located properly.
- Identifies parts shown in blueprints and ensures availability for projects.
- Follows the Bill of Material (BOM) and compares with the blueprints, identifies discrepancies and forwards information to tech lead or manager.
- Identifies faulty welds and takes steps to ensure they are fixed appropriately and documented. Mentor other welders as required in the proper application of the weld.
- Adheres to the Super Steel Quality Management System (QMS).
- Completes other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None.
Education and/or Experience:
The position requires a high school diploma or GED and previous experience as a welder either from course work in high school or technical college courses. Two to three years of experience as a base welder is required. Must pass test for position as well as multiple weld certifications deemed relevant by Super Steel. Failing weld certifications may jeopardize position classification.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Good verbal and written comprehension, the ability to thrive in a team environment, and work with necessary supervision is required. Incumbent must not be afraid to ask questions. Attention to detail, the ability to follow detailed instructions, follow blueprints, good math skills, ability to interpret measurements and use measuring devices and power tools is required. Ability to accept constructive criticism from others. Mechanical aptitude is important. Use of overhead cranes is helpful. The ability to perform math calculations is required. The ability to work on different projects as necessary is required.
Additional Characteristics: (It is important that all Super Steel employees demonstrate the following competencies in the course of completing the job.)
- Integrity is the ability to maintain a high degree of certainty between what is said and done.
- Motivation is the drive to succeed within the cultural demands of the organization.
- Capacity is the ability to handle the volume of work required for success in the position.
- Understanding is the ability to know how to prioritize the work and to see how independent action affects others in the organization.
- Implementation is the ability to take an idea or concept or plan and successfully execute it within the constraints of the organization.
- Innovation is the ability to acquire information and to use the information to develop new decision-making paradigms.
Protective Clothing Required:
The position requires safety glasses, steel toed shoes and appropriate clothing. Welders must supply their own tools.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; talk or hear; and use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects or controls. The employee is regularly required to stand and walk. On occasion the incumbent may be required to stoop, bend or reach above the shoulders.
The employee must occasionally lift up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.