Job Title: Tool Builder
Reports to: Tooling Manager
Work Location: Super Steel, LLC, Mequon, WI
Date: July 2022
Responsible for building tools or fixtures to facilitate improved efficiency and quality of end-products products. Works with drawings to determine how to build fixture according to specifications
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Include the Following:
- Builds fixtures and other various tools for manufacturing to enabling those areas to do their work more efficiently, with improved quality and repeatability.
- May work on designing fixtures using CAD software as required.
- Orders materials and components required to build fixtures.
- Machines various parts such as stops, clamps, pads, etc. using mill and/or lathe.
- Welds the fixtures together.
- Utilizes material handling equipment to build and move fixtures.
- Hand layout of fixtures for location of shops, pad, and clamps.
- Works with manufacturing on tool adjustments, repair, or modification.
- Assists in start-up with manufacturing personnel.
- May have potential for travel.
- Completes special projects and other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
The position requires a high school diploma or GED.
Three to five years of open set-up welding experience.
- Proven abilities in Solid Works or equivalent CAD system.
- Knowledge of blueprint interpretation including weld blueprints and GD&T.
- Must have excellent mathematical and welding skills.
- Knowledge of manufacturing systems, steel fabrication, sheet metal and welding processes.
- Effective oral and written communications are essential, as are interpersonal skills.
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- The ability to work on a wide variety of projects with frequent, established deadlines.
- Must be willing to get hands dirty with tool construction and troubleshooting.
- Must be able to work on multiple projects at the same time.
- Have an ability to work through complex challenges and requirements, utilizing problem-solving skills.
Forklift and crane certification required. It will necessary to gain Super Steel certification within 30 days of employment and maintain certification throughout employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Good verbal and written comprehension.
- Must thrive in a team environment.
- Self-motivated but able to take directions.
- Attention to detail and the ability to follow detailed instructions.
It is important that all Super Steel employees demonstrate the following competencies while completing the job.
- Integrity is the ability to maintain a high degree of certainty between what is said and done.
- Motivation is the drive to succeed within the cultural demands of the organization.
- Capacity is the ability to handle the volume of work required for success in the position.
- Understanding is the ability to know how to prioritize the work and to see how independent action affects others in the organization.
- Implementation is the ability to take an idea or concept or plan and successfully execute it within the constraints of the organization.
- Innovation is the ability to acquire information and to use the information to develop new decision-making paradigms.
Protective Clothing Required:
The position requires safety glasses, steel-toed shoes and appropriate clothing as determined by the environment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; talk or hear; and use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects or controls. The employee is regularly required to stand and walk. On occasion the incumbent may be required to climb, stoop, bend or reach above the shoulders.
The employee must occasionally lift 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.