Job Title: Quality Technician
Reports to: Quality Assurance Manager
Work Location: Super Steel, LLC, Mequon, WI
Date: August 2022
Description of Role:
Perform a variety of quality control tests and inspections on products, materials, components, parts, etc. at various stages of the production process to ensure compliance with quality and reliability standards. Record and analyze data, communicate results, perform statistical analysis as needed.
Expectations of Role:
- Performs various quality tests using basic measurement devices and test equipment; develop new test set-ups and/or test methods.
- Analyzes, interprets and professionally communicates test results.
- Troubleshoots production development problems related to parts and/or assembly; recommends improvements or solutions.
- Assists in the verification of implemented quality improvements to the manufacturing process.
- Using problem solving techniques, reports root cause of product and/or part failures.
- Provides technical assistance and training in quality techniques and services.
- Reviews customer complaints to determine where emphasis should be placed to prevent recurrence; modifies deficient aspects of system as appropriate.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience: The position requires an associate degree or equivalent, 3-5 years of quality control, engineering, welding or related field experience in a heavy manufacturing environment. Current Certified Weld Inspector credentials or ability to acquire them within 2 years a must.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Effective oral and written communications are essential. The ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, equipment specifications, and contracts is required. The ability to respond to questions from management and other employees of the organization is essential. The ability to organize activities and allocate manpower is necessary to maintain efficient operations. Must be able to apply general mathematics concepts to practical situations. Must be able to solve problems with little standardization. The incumbent should be able to interpret instructions from a variety of forms. The position requires intermediate PC skills with knowledge of MS Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook) and other internal management and Human Resources systems. Ability to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals is required. Employee development and performance management skills are essential.
It is important that all Super Steel employees demonstrate the following competencies while completing the job.
- Integrity is the ability to maintain a high degree of certainty between what is said and what is done (Lead by Example, do what you say, say what you do).
- Motivation is the individual drive to succeed within the cultural demands of the organization.
- Capacity is the ability to handle the volume of work required for success in the position.
- Understanding is the ability to know how to prioritize work and see how independent action affects others in the organization.
- Implementation is the ability to take an idea or plan and successfully execute it.
- Innovation is the ability to collect information and to use the collected information to develop new decision-making examples.
Protective Clothing Required:
The position requires safety glasses and steel-toed shoes or boots and occasional hearing protection. Occasionally the need may arise for other protective clothing, gloves or welding masks.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; talk or hear; and use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects or controls. The employee is regularly required to stand and walk. On occasion the incumbent may be required to stoop, bend or reach above the shoulders.
The employee must occasionally lift up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to work near moving mechanical parts, and in high, precarious places; and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, outdoor weather conditions, extreme heat (non-weather), and risk of electrical shock. The employee occasionally performs work-related travel.
Frequent exposure to outdoor conditions and loud noises typical of shop conditions are regular parts of the position. On occasion there may be exposure to moving mechanical parts, fumes and chemicals.