Job Title: Quality Assurance Manager
Reports to: VP of Operations
Work Location: Super Steel, LLC, Mequon, WI
Date: June 2022
Description of Role:
To build, plan, coordinate and administer Super Steel’s quality assurance department’s program to ensure optimum quality and product reliability at the most economical cost. By implementing effective methods to inspect, test, evaluate, and communicate that products and services provided meet customer quality standards and comply with ISO 9001-2015 requirements. Responsible for providing leadership and the tools necessary to continuously communicate methods to improve quality up and downstream. Function as a change agent in moving quality processes and initiatives forward. Supervise assigned team members – Leading by Example – inspiring the team to excel.
Expectations of Role:
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of the quality system policies and procedures.
- Leads the development of, and adherence to, processes, control plans, inspection procedures, capability studies and sampling frequencies.
- Implements quality initiatives to attain and maintain customer satisfaction and focus.
- Manages projects which support overall strategic goals and continuous improvement and identify as well as implement corrective actions.
- Represents Super Steel during customer and supplier visits as appropriate to confer and effectively resolve specific quality problems.
- Provides technical assistance and training in quality techniques and services.
- Engages, mentors, coaches, motivates and problem solves to help develop all team members on all shifts (Lead by Example)
- Reviews and prioritizes customer complaints to determine where emphasis should be placed to prevent recurrence; modifies deficient aspects of system and/or process as appropriate.
- Supervises Quality Technicians & Quality Engineers.
- Works in partnership with Operations management and company leadership.
- Completes supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, recommending hires, training, and coaching employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Completes other duties from time to time as assigned.
Embrace Super Steels “Core Values”
◆ Eliminating fear through trust ◆ Enthusiastically learning
◆ Engaging perspectives ◆ Empowering talent
◆ Expanding creativity ◆ Embracing simplicity
◆ Enabling agility ◆ Excelling operationally
◆ Exceeding expectations ◆ Being Bold
Education and/or Experience: The position requires a bachelor’s degree or equivalent, 5-7 years of quality control, engineering or related field experience in a heavy manufacturing environment. Current Certified Weld Inspector credentials or ability to acquire them within 1 year a must. At least 3 years of previous supervisory/management experience required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Effective oral, written and presentation communication skills are essential. The ability to read and interpret schematics and documents such as product and equipment specifications, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, safety rules, and contracts is required. The ability to complete objective analysis and evaluations of issues to form judgements. The ability to effectively respond to questions from customers as well as management and other employees of the organization is essential. The ability to organize activities and allocate manpower is necessary to maintain efficient operations. Must be able to apply general mathematical concepts and ISO requirements to practical situations. Must be able to solve problems with little standardization. The incumbent should be able to interpret instructions from a variety of forms. The position requires a working PC proficiency with a keen knowledge of MS Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook) and other internal management and Human Resources systems. Ability to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals is required. Employee development and performance management skills are essential – Leading by Example – inspiring co-workers.
It is important that all Super Steel employees demonstrate the following competencies while completing the job.
- Integrity is the ability to maintain a high degree of certainty between what is said and what is done (Lead by Example, do what you say, say what you do).
- Motivation is the individual drive to succeed within the cultural demands of the organization.
- Capacity is the ability to handle the volume of work required for success in the position.
- Understanding is the ability to know how to prioritize work and see how independent action affects others in the organization.
- Implementation is the ability to take an idea or plan and successfully execute it.
- Innovation is the ability to collect information and to use the collected information to develop new decision-making examples.
Protective Clothing Required:
The position requires safety glasses and steel-toed shoes or boots and occasional hearing protection. Occasionally the need may arise for other protective clothing, gloves or welding masks.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; talk or hear; and use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects or controls. The employee is regularly required to stand and walk. On occasion the incumbent may be required to stoop, bend or reach above the shoulders.
The employee must occasionally lift up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to work near moving mechanical parts, and in high, precarious places; and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, outdoor weather conditions, extreme heat (non-weather), and risk of electrical shock. The employee occasionally performs work-related travel.
Frequent exposure to outdoor conditions and loud noises typical of shop conditions are regular parts of the position. On occasion there may be exposure to moving mechanical parts, fumes and chemicals.