Job Title: Painter
Reports to: Manager Paint Technologies
Work Location: Super Steel, LLC, Mequon, WI
Date: September 2022
Description of Role:
Complete the painting process from prep work, painting & finish work for all products in paint department. May cross train in other areas within the department as needed.
Expectations of Role:
Daily work duties for operators vary based on the manufacturing projects they work on and the various metals they use to make items. These core job tasks, however, are common across most work assignments:
- Apply prepared paints, lacquers or enamels to products where high grade and decorative finishes are required.
- Mix various two-part paints to the specified consistency and viscosity.
- Adjust equipment to obtain the best finish requirements and economy.
- Under minimal supervision, sets up powder coat and related equipment to exacting specifications and prepares equipment for production.
- Ensures that items are properly hung on conveyor hooks.
- Hangs and removes parts from hooks when parts are not available to powder coat.
- Inspects and maintains equipment for compliance with safety requirements, including but not limited to, all guarding.
- Corrects any safety issue prior to operating the equipment.
- Prepares parts for rework and applies powder to correct coating defects.
- Determine paint flow, viscosity, and coating quality by performing visual inspections, or by using viscometers.
- Start and stop operation of machines, using levers or buttons.
- Works from schedules and specifications.
- Completes other duties from time to time as assigned.
Embrace Super Steels “Core Values”
♦ Eliminating fear through trust ♦ Enthusiastically learning
♦ Engaging perspectives ♦ Empowering talent
♦ Expanding creativity ♦ Embracing simplicity
♦ Enabling agility ♦ Excelling operationally
♦ Exceeding expectations ♦ Be Bold
- 1 – 3 years Painting for Manufacturing Experience.
- Some training is provided to painter, but this is not considered an entry-level job.
- Work requires skill and precision techniques.
- Good understanding of paints and painting processes.
- Recognize defective materials and coatings.
- Blueprint reading required.
- Candidates must have previous industrial paint environment experience
It is important that all Super Steel employees demonstrate the following competencies while completing the job.
- Integrity is the ability to maintain a high degree of certainty between what is said and what is done (Lead by Example, do what you say, say what you do).
- Motivation is the individual drive to succeed within the cultural demands of the organization.
- Capacity is the ability to handle the volume of work required for success in the position.
- Understanding is the ability to know how to prioritize work and see how independent action affects others in the organization.
- Implementation is the ability to take an idea or plan and successfully execute it.
- Innovation is the ability to collect information and to use the collected information to develop new decision-making examples.
Protective Clothing Required:
The position requires safety glasses and steel-toed shoes or boots and occasional hearing protection. Occasionally the need may arise for other protective clothing, gloves or welding masks.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; talk or hear; and use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects or controls. The employee is regularly required to stand and walk. On occasion the incumbent may be required to stoop, bend or reach above the shoulders.
The employee must occasionally lift up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to work near moving mechanical parts, and in high, precarious places; and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, outdoor weather conditions, extreme heat (non-weather), and risk of electrical shock. The employee occasionally performs work-related travel.
Frequent exposure to outdoor conditions and loud noises typical of shop conditions are regular parts of the position. On occasion there may be exposure to moving mechanical parts, fumes and chemicals.